Friday, July 27, 2012

17 Day Diet: er, let's make that a 6.5-Day Diet

It's safe to say that I fell of the 'ol diet bandwagon on this one - my 17-Day Diet pretty much ended on Sunday evening. I expected the weekend to be really hard, but I actually did fairly well!

Saturday morning, Vic was, shall we say, feeling the effects of having too much fun the night before and he requested that I run to Bruegger's for bagel breakfast sandwiches. I promptly whined "You're sending someone on a low-carb diet to a BAGEL SHOP!!" I really didn't want him suffering through a hangover all day, so I obliged. I ended up getting myself something, but not on a bagel {though it was very tempting!} - I got a breakfast wrap {2 egg patties, bacon, 1 slice of muenster cheese in a tortilla}. I ripped off all of the bready-ends and any overlapping tortilla pieces, so the amount of tortilla I ate was minimal {and the whole thing was so good!}. I made myself proud the rest of the day by having a protein-packed smoothie for lunch and a strawberry poppyseed chicken salad from Panera for dinner {and thus mostly sticking to the diet plan}.

Sunday I was successful all day {eggs and fruit for breakfast, chipotle salad for lunch}, but then we went to the Durham Bulls game, where my company had treated us to a catered dinner.

One of the highlights of his night!
I was hoping they'd have a least one healthy choice, but it was burgers, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, fried chicken, chips, baked beans, and cake. Pretty much only starchy carbs/low-quality protein. Couldn't they have thrown in a fruit salad?! I had a hot dog {tore off most of the bun} and a small scoop each of macaroni and cheese and baked beans, a Diet Pepsi, a pinch of cotton candy, and literally 1 bite of cake. Old me would've had the same things, but a regular soda and much bigger portions {and more cake!}. I was proud of my control.

This boy only asked for Cotton Candy - how could we say no?
So yes, technically I am OFF the diet. While I felt very mentally committed to it and stuck to it relatively well {given a normal -workday- schedule}, my body was not happy. Aside from the ketosis breath, I was so tired in the evenings {from lack of carbs - the nights I had a small serving of rice or beans, I was a whole different person}, and not to be gross, but things weren't "moving" correctly. To me, these are all signs that this diet was not really beneficial for my body. Yes, I was losing weight {3lbs over the course of the week, which has not come back thus far!}, but the deprivation and unpleasant side effects weren't worth it.

Since Sunday, I'm happy to report that I've been more active {running, spin class, and swimming!}, the weight loss from last week has stayed off {and even dropped a little more!}, and I feel great, even though I'm entering the dreaded PMS zone. I learned a lot from my week on the 2.5 week diet, which I plan on discussing in more detail in my next post :-)

Total weight loss for July {as of 7/27}: 5.0 lbs {about 8lbs total since mid-May}

My goal is 10 for the month, but I don't think I'll lose 5 lbs in 4 days! I really feel that I've hit my stride with weight loss and possibly even hurdled myself over a little plateau. I'm very optimistic that great losses {of weight!} are in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment